The holiday season is a great time to spend building memories as a family, but don’t forget to also take time for a one-on-one date with your sweetheart too! While it can be a challenge to make arrangements or take the time to get away together research has shown that having date nights can strengthen your relationship in the following ways:
- Time to talk can provide opportunities to reconnect and discover your partner’s newest interests and dreams.
- Having fun together. Date nights provide an opportunity to get out of the routine, build happy memories and rekindle the spark that can help to sustain couples through the tough times.
- Strengthen commitment. Setting aside time to go on a date demonstrates your commitment to each other and sets an important example to children or others that you value your relationship.
- Stress relief. Date nights allow couples to enjoy time together apart from the pressing concerns of ordinary life.
In order to make the most of your time together consider the following tips:
- Make an effort to plan your date in advance, and if needed budget so you can put money towards some nice evenings out. For ideas on what to do for your date, check out the blog post 10 Tips for Romance on a Budget livewellutah.org.
- Make an effort to look your best by wearing something special for your date together (clothing, cologne, jewelry, etc.).
- Get ready to music that pumps you up! When you’re listening to music you enjoy, you’ll begin to feel good and radiate positive energy.
- Give compliments. Compliment yourself and your spouse to build self-esteem.
- Make the car ride special. Use the time driving to get to know your partner better and discover their current hopes, dreams, and interests.
The research and information was provided by Naomi Brower
For more information see “The Date Night Opportunity” by Brad Wilcox and Jeff Dew found at http://nationalmarriageproject.org/wordpress/