Relationships can be one of the greatest joys in life. Research even suggests that love and intimacy have a greater impact on our quality of life than any other factor, including diet, exercise, stress or genetics! Relationships can also be complicated. So, how do you know if you are in a healthy relationship? Check out these 7 signs of a healthy relationship.
1. You are honest with each other and you have a strong sense of trust between you. There is no hidden agenda or secrets from the past.
2. You can openly discuss everything—the good, the bad and the ugly in a calm and supportive way. If you have disagreements, you are able to discuss them respectfully and turn your differences into fair compromise.
3. You both know who you are and what you want out of life, and you are on the same page in terms of your basic values and life goals.
4. You enjoy doing things together but you also have quality time apart doing what is most important to each of you. You encourage each other to grow and change and be your best selves.
5. You respect each other’s boundaries and right to privacy.
6. Both of you contribute your fair share to the relationship.
7. You feel safe and supported in the relationship.
Some of these might seem like common sense and some might cause you to think a little more about the health of your relationship. Whether you are in a strong relationship or one that is currently in need of a little help, consider attending a relationship strengthening event such as the Northern Utah Marriage Celebration on February 8 at Weber State University to help you create a relationship worth a lifetime of memories. See registration and details here.
The research and information was provided by Naomi Brower
Ornish, D. (2018). Love & Support. https://www.ornish.com/proven-program/love-support/